FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What do I need to pack in preparation for hikes and forest visits?
Where is the Mondulkiri Sanctuary and how to get there?
Why should I choose to visit the Mondulkiri Sanctuary?
How will my visit help local forest & wildlife conservation?
Do I need to book in advance?
Where do I book and how do I pay?
- For day tours:
- Comfortable footwear for trekking ( your shoes might get wet while crossing rivers).
- Swimming clothes and light towel or sarong
- Light, long sleeved clothing to wear during the day (best to wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty).
- A hat and sun protection. Insect repellent. Rain coat or poncho. Camera.
- Transportation, guiding, lunch and water are provided. You can bring additional snack foods.
- For overnight tours:
- A change of day clothes. Warm clothes and socks to wear at night. A flashlight.
The Sanctuary is located in Mondulkiri province, northeastern Cambodia, a 5.5 -6 hours drive from Cambodia’s capital Phnom Penh.
Direct express vans from Phnom Penh, are the most convenient way to get to Sen Monorom. It is also possible to travel to / from nearby provinces: Kratie and Ratanakiri. For van ticket booking contact numbers & more info: Visit the Mondulkiri travel and transport guide by Nature Lodge.
Important reasons for choosing to include Mondulkiri's elephant & wildlife conservation project in your Cambodian travel itinerary
1) By visiting or volunteering at the sanctuary, you are supporting a sustainable Cambodian conservation project that creates livelihoods, protects local forests, frees working elephants & provides rescue & rehabilitation to captured wildlife.
2) Through choosing a responsible ecotourism project, you help create a sustainable income for local communities, reducing the financial need for logging & hunting. The project also creates additional jobs, training opportunities, and a chance to learn English.
3) We promote & demonstrate sustainable ecotourism & help educate locals about long term conservation benefits.
4) Following your visit, you can see more of Mondulkiri Province - one of Cambodia’s most beautiful and scenic destination. The highland plateau around Sen Monorom offers rolling hill views, cooler climate and some of the best eco-tourism sites in Cambodia. From here, you can continue to other interesting destinations in Northern Cambodia such as Ratankiri, Kratie, Stung Treng and the border crossing with Laos.
How to make sure my contribution goes towards the local communities, forest & wildlife conservation?
L.E.A.F is a registered Cambodian conservation organization. As a licensed NGO, our activity and project finances are fully transparent & responsibly managed towards wildlife conservation & community benefits.
Please note that while many tourism businesses in Mondulkiri are marketing tours as "elephant or community projects” - L.E.A.F and EVP are the only 2 registered non profit ecotourism projects with transparent finacses.
If supporting a genuine conservation project is important to you: You can easily make sure by asking for the NGO's registration nunber and checking if it appears on the Cambodian nonprofit organizations & project list ( log in as a visitor ).
How is my project contribution being used?
Yes, it is recommended to book in advance as we limit visitor group size to 12 persons in order to minimize human impact on the sanctuary's local wildlife.
In order to be sure that we have availability - You can book your visit in advance by sending an online booking request. Payment will be made at the L.E.A.F office following your arrival in Sem Monorom.
We co-operate with The Nature Lodge in Sen Monorom and it is now also possible to arrange your visit through the Lodge. Our conservation tours are also included as a part of the Mondulkiri Eco-tourism Adventure packages.